As many of you know, I used to do a weekly vlog about the books that found their way to me during the week. As my schedule got busier, I realized weekly vlogs were no longer feasible, and instead I’ve been posting exciting library sale finds and mailbox surprises on Tumblr. The past few weeks, though, have been far too exciting when it comes to books, and I cannot resist sharing all my new acquisitions here!
I’ve been to two library sales over the past few weeks. At the first, I picked up two books:
- A Short History of Women by Kate Walbert
- Wait for Me! by Deborah Mitford, Duchess of Devonshire
Sounds all tame and restrained, no? Don’t worry. My true book-obsessed nature came barreling through at the second sale, where…well…I picked up two stacks. This sale was my hometown’s annual event: a middle school cafeteria plus lobby brimming with amazing finds, all in excellent condition and painstakingly organized. It’s really amazing. And since my mom volunteered to work the sale this year, and I was home visiting her, I ended up going all three days! The damage (half of which is still at my parents’ house, as it would not fit into my suitcase):
The Left Stack:
- Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
- Exiled: Memoirs of a Camel by Kathleen Karr
- Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
- East of the Sun by Julia Gregson
- When the Emperor Was Divine by Julie Otsuka
- The Great Man by Kate Christensen
- The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig
- The Stranger by Albert Camus
- Istanbul by Orhan Pamuk
- Small Wonder by Barbara Kingsolver
- Mistress of the Sun by Sandra Gulland
- Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
- Women of the Silk by Gail Tsukiyama
The Right Stack:
- A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (such a pretty edition I couldn’t pass it up!)
- Anne Frank by Francine Prose
- Sister of My Heart by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
- Runaway by Alice Munro
- A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore
- The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris
- The Piano Tuner by Daniel Mason
- The Irresistible Henry House by Lisa Grunwald
- The Bells by Richard Harvell
- Black Swan Green by David Mitchell
Whew! I’m thrilled because well over half of those were already on my TBR list. Anyone else up for reading something together? I see all kinds of Reading Buddies potential here!
A few books came my way from friends (to whom I am so grateful!):
- The Soldier’s Wife by Margaret Leroy (coming out in July)
- The Wild Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (coming in out in August, though I have to read the first two in the series before I start this one!)
- The Good Muslim by Tahmima Anam (also coming out in August)
- Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu (coming out in September)
- Wildwood by Colin Meloy (also coming out in September)
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher (which has been out for a while but which I have very much been wanting to read!)
I’ve also had more books than usual find their way to me through the mail recently:
- The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents: Earth (The Audiobook): won via Devourer of Books during Audiobook Week!
- Beauty Queens by Libba Bray: won via Write, Meg!
- The Paper Garden by Molly Peacock: won via In the Next Room!
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (ARC): won through Shelf Awareness!
Now I just have to find the time to read all of these. Book acquisition photos will move back over to Tumblr now, at least until I get too excited about something and have to share it with a larger audience!
Has anything you’re extra excited about found its way onto your shelves lately?